Vacation Bible School (VBS) is a significant way your church can open the door to the surrounding community. You may think VBS is for only for children and not for you, but VBS is most successful when the church embraces it as a total church ministry. Here are ways you can help in sharing the work of VBS.
- Pray before VBS for the leaders, children and their families.
- Pray for good weather and good health for teachers and their families.
- Pray for receptive hearts for the children who may be hearing the gospel for the first time.
- Distribute flyers and posters in your neighborhood and invite your neighbors with children.
- Transport children to VBS.
- Offer to drive the church van to pick up children whose parents may be working.
- Help fund VBS through a special offering or gift.
- Donate children’s snacks or sponsor a special treat for the teachers’ lounge. This is a great ministry for a Sunday School class or small group.
- If your church orders VBS T-shirts, manage the order and distribution of shirts.
- Cut out materials for leaders.
- Shop for VBS supplies.
- Help with decorating classrooms or the worship center.
- Be a greeter/escort for VBS guests who need to find classrooms.
- Collect and maintain VBS attendance records.
- Be a department runner, helping teachers with last-minute supplies or copies.
- Help plan or clean up after a teacher training event or parent night.
- Invite unchurched families to Sunday School or a small group meeting.
- Add your name to the substitute teacher list.
- Pray for children who make professions of faith.
- Pray for the families who need to hear the message of Christ and those from your church who will make this happen.
- Pray for the Holy Spirit to continue His work in the life of your church and children’s ministry when VBS is over.
Think VBS is not for you? Will you prayerfully think again? God has a place for you in this wonderful ministry. Just pick one and get started!
Get the latest news and event information by signing up for the N.C. Baptist newsletter.