Dec. 7, 2019 – Distribution Date
Metropolitan New York Baptist Association (MNYBA), New York City
Coats for the City shares the love of Jesus by providing warm coats and the gospel to residents of New York City each December. N.C. Baptists have partnered with the Metropolitan New York Baptist Association (MNYBA) in this effort for eight years. Working with churches across New York City, we desire to distribute coats along with a Bible or Jesus film in the language of every recipient.
How can you help? Register a team from your church to go distribute coats in New York City. We ask you to collect a minimum of 30 coats for each volunteer you send. Recruit two neighboring churches to assist in collection of coats. If you can’t go, pray and collect coats for those able to go and participate in the distribution. Please donate $1 for every coat you donate to help cover the cost of Bibles and Jesus films. The $1 donation is not required, but would help greatly.
What kind of coats do we need?
- New or gently used heavy coats that can withstand a New York City winter.
- Lighter-weight coats used for layering.
- No holes, tears, stains.
- Zippers should work.
- Store coats in a clean, dry place.
- View an instructional video here for more information.
- Consider applying for a grant through your local Walmart in order to purchase new or gently used coats, appropriate for an NYC winter. You can access information regarding Walmart community grants by clicking here.
Want to send a team?
- Teams will be accepted on a first come first serve basis, with space for only 15-20 churches each year.
- Smaller teams of six to eight people are best.
- Volunteer teams are responsible for their own transportation and housing costs.
Where would your team stay?
- MNYBA has room for 40 volunteers.
- New York School of Urban Ministries also has space for volunteers.
- Contact [email protected] for affordable local hotels.
Important Dates to Remember
Sept. 1, 2019 – Deadline for team registration
Oct. 31, 2019 – Deadline for coats to collection centers
Nov. 11-12, 2019 – Final coat collection at BSCNC Annual Meeting
Dec. 7, 2019 – Coat distribution in New York City
Get the latest news and event information by signing up for the N.C. Baptist newsletter.