More than 1,000 messengers from Baptist churches across North Carolina gathered at the Joseph S. Koury Convention Center in Greensboro, N.C., on Monday, Nov. 11 for the opening session of the 189th annual Baptist State Convention of North Carolina’s (BSCNC) Annual Meeting. The theme of this year’s meeting is “God’s Great Work,” emphasizing the Great Commission and the Great Commandment.
- As of 6 p.m. Monday, 420 pastors, 181 pastor’s spouses, 187 church staff and 271 laity have registered for this year’s Annual Meeting for a total of 1,059 messengers. An additional 185 visitors registered for an opening-session total of 1,244 in attendance.
- Messengers approved a motion for next year’s Annual Meeting to be held Nov. 9-10, 2020, in Greensboro, N.C. Messengers also approved a motion for Sam James, retired missionary with the International Mission Board, to deliver the 2020 convention sermon.
- During a special church planting celebration, N.C. Baptists commissioned 109 church planters and their families who are planting or have recently planted churches across the state. BSCNC Executive Director-Treasurer Milton A. Hollifield Jr. and other convention leaders prayed over the planters and called on more N.C. churches to plant new churches.
- State convention President Steve Scoggins, pastor of First Baptist Church of Hendersonville, preached a message on “God’s Great Work” from Nehemiah 6:3. Scoggins said God’s great work is the work of the Great Commission and the Great Commandment and that every church has a unique role to play in fulfilling God’s great work.
Tuesday Highlights & Reminders
- A listening session for the proposed amendments to the state convention’s bylaws is scheduled for 7:30 a.m. in the Turnberry Room. Messengers will consider the proposed amendments at 9:15 a.m. as part of a report on behalf of the BSCNC Board of Directors.
- A listening session for the proposed 2020 Cooperative Program budget is scheduled for 7:30 a.m. in the Pinehurst Room. Messengers will consider the budget proposal during a fixed order of business at 2:40 p.m. that is part of a report on behalf of the BSCNC Board of Directors.
- Two separate opportunities for breakout sessions are scheduled from 11 a.m. to noon and 3:30-4:30 p.m. A complete list of breakout session titles and descriptions are available at ncannualmeeting.org/breakouts and on the N.C. Baptist mobile app.
- Simultaneous interpretation of all convention sessions is being offered in Spanish. To receive Spanish interpretation, call 1-605-562-0400 and when prompted enter 594 4046.
- A series of reports by BSCNC institutions and agencies is scheduled for 8:45 a.m. Reports will be delivered by representatives from the North Carolina Baptist Foundation, North Carolina Baptist Hospital, the Baptist Children’s Homes of North Carolina and the Biblical Recorder.
- As part of the morning Board of Directors’ report scheduled for 9:15 a.m., BSCNC Associate Executive Director-Treasurer Brian Davis will moderate a panel discussion with pastors and ministry leaders from across the state asking the question, “How has the strategy helped your church fulfill the Great Commission?”
- The scheduled time for messengers to submit items of miscellaneous business is 9:55 a.m.
- Milton A. Hollifield Jr. will share his executive director-treasurer’s report at 10:20 a.m.
- The Woman’s Missionary Union of North Carolina will share a report with messengers at 1:40 p.m.
- Elections for state convention president, first vice president and second vice president will take place at 1:55 p.m. as part of a fixed order of business.
- A series of committee reports from the Committee on Nominations, Historical Committee, and Committee on Resolutions and Memorials is scheduled for 2:20 p.m.
- Ronnie Floyd, president and CEO of the Executive Committee of the Southern Baptist Convention, will preach during a special worship service scheduled for 7:20 p.m.
- Messengers are encouraged to provide feedback on this year’s Annual Meeting through the N.C. Baptist mobile app, by texting the word EVALUATION to 313131, or by completing the evaluation form in the back of the Annual Meeting program.
- Receive live updates about Annual Meeting through the official Baptist State Convention of North Carolina social media channels by following @ncbaptist on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. The official 2019 Annual Meeting hashtag is #GodsGreatWork.