Milton A. Hollifield Jr., former executive director-treasurer for the Baptist State Convention of North Carolina, has received a 2023 Heritage Award from the convention he once served.
The award represents one of the highest forms of recognition among N.C. Baptists and is presented to those who have made unique contributions to Baptist life and ministry through service and generosity.
Todd Unzicker, executive director-treasurer for the state convention, presented the award to Hollifield during a luncheon held Tuesday, April 4, at the Koury Convention Center in Greensboro. The event was co-sponsored by the state convention and the N.C. Baptist Foundation.
Raised in Swannanoa, N.C., Hollifield served as an influential and respected leader with the state convention for nearly three decades.
His work in ministry began as a pastor. After obtaining a bachelor’s degree from Mars Hill College (now University) and a master of divinity from Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary in Fort Worth, Texas, Hollifield led churches in Texas and North Carolina before serving as director of missions for the Gaston Baptist Association. Hollifield joined the state convention’s evangelism group as director in 1993.
In 2006, Hollifield was called to lead as executive director-treasurer for N.C. Baptists, serving in that capacity until his retirement in February 2021. Overall, Hollifield served the state convention for nearly 28 years.
In presenting the award to Hollifield, Unzicker noted his passion for evangelism, discipleship and service to N.C. Baptist churches. During his tenure, Hollifield placed a distinct emphasis on prayer and missions giving, leading North Carolina to become one of the most generous state convention’s to give to missions through the Cooperative Program.
Hollifield and his wife, Gloria, live in Asheville, where they continue to serve churches and church leaders. After his retirement in 2021, Hollifield joined the North American Mission Board (NAMB) as a special assistant, helping strengthen partnerships between NAMB and state conventions.
Hollifield was one of 16 who were honored at the N.C. Baptist Heritage Award luncheon. The full list of honorees are as follows:
- Atrium Health Wake Forest Baptist – George D. Renfro
- Baptist Children’s Homes of North Carolina – Monica S. Vaughan
- Baptist Retirement Homes Foundation – W. Linville Roach
- Baptist State Convention of North Carolina – Milton A. Hollifield Jr.
- Biblical Recorder – K. Allan Blume
- Campbell University – David J. Hailey
- Chowan University – Addison Duke Askew
- Gardner-Webb University – David & Marilyn Withrow
- Mars Hill University – Michael V. Groce
- N.C. Baptist Foundation – Thomas J. Dimmock
- N.C. Baptists on Mission – Lee Phillips
- Wingate University – Rick & Carolyn Matthews
- Woman’s Missionary Union of North Carolina – Delores & Richard Thomas