Video 1 of our Holy Week Easter Bundle
Scripture: Matthew 21:1-11
When they approached Jerusalem and came to Bethphage at the Mount of Olives, Jesus then sent two disciples, telling them, “Go into the village ahead of you. At once you will find a donkey tied there with her colt. Untie them and bring them to me. If anyone says anything to you, say that the Lord needs them, and he will send them at once.”
This took place so that what was spoken through the prophet might be fulfilled: ‘Tell Daughter Zion, ‘See, your King is coming to you, gentle, and mounted on a donkey, and on a colt, the foal of a donkey.’”
The disciples went and did just as Jesus directed them. They brought the donkey and the colt; then they laid their clothes on them, and he sat on them. A very large crowd spread their clothes on the road; others were cutting branches from the trees and spreading them on the road. Then the crowds who went ahead of him and those who followed shouted: “Hosanna to the Son of David! Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord! Hosanna in the highest heaven!”
When he entered Jerusalem, the whole city was in an uproar, saying, “Who is this?” The crowds were saying, “This is the prophet Jesus from Nazareth in Galilee.”
This Palm Sunday, we read about Jesus beginning His journey to the cross.
As the crowds gathered to watch Jesus enter Jerusalem, they praised Him, shouting, “Hosanna to the Son of David!” These worshipers recognized Jesus as the fulfillment of Old Testament prophecy, the promised Messiah and King who had come to save God’s people.
As we reflect on the events that took place on Palm Sunday, we must ask ourselves — how do we see Jesus? If we lived in Jesus’ time, would we view Him as just another teacher? Or would we be joining the crowds, cutting branches down and shouting “Hosanna!” to the coming King?
- Pray and reflect on how you see Jesus. Who is Jesus to you? Do you see Him as Lord?
- Praise God for the grace He has shown you by sending Jesus to the cross.
- Pray that this Easter season, God would reveal to you new ways to worship our risen Savior.
- Pray that God would show you any idols in your heart that prevent you from praising Jesus as Lord.
- Click here to watch and download all videos in our Holy Week social media bundle.
- This is the first of a series of Holy Week devotionals. Sign up for our daily article feed to receive these devotional videos straight to your inbox.
- Throughout Holy Week, you will find these videos on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter. As you share them, tag @ncbaptist on social media so we can celebrate this season with you.
by N.C. Baptist Communications