About one-third of North Carolina’s population live in multifamily housing communities, such as apartments, townhomes, condominiums and mobile home parks. Nationally, approximately 95 percent of individuals living in multifamily housing communities are unchurched. However, many outreach programs and strategies to impact lostness have overlooked these communities.
This is a mission field – our mission field – and we have the opportunity and responsibility to respond with a gospel message and presence.
Because of the large amount of unchurched people living in multifamily housing communities, we must develop creative methods take the gospel and Christian community to them rather than expecting them to come to us. Here are six steps to engaging multifamily housing communities.
- Saturate a community with prayer by walking the streets and praying for the people we see.
- Engage with people through some social, service, support, sports, seasonal or study event. The goal at this stage is to build credibility in the community.
- Don’t wait long before sharing the gospel in relational and simple ways.
- Invest in young leaders to equip them to minister to their own community.
- Begin a sustainable ministry alongside those leaders, such as, a kid’s club or an adult Bible study.
- Continue to invest in the leaders while passing the ministry along to them.
Will you and your church take responsibility for a multifamily housing community near you?
Let our multifamily housing catalysts help you and your church develop and implement a strategy to effectively engage the communities near you.
Contact the Great Commission Partnerships team for help on how to get started.Join us Feb. 26 to learn how to make disciples.
Email [email protected] or call (800) 395-5102, ext. 5648