The U.S. Supreme Court will hear oral arguments this week for Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization, a case that has the potential to reshape the legal landscape surrounding abortion. It’s a key moment that could lead to more protections for preborn humans made in the image of God.
Mississippi lawmakers passed legislation in 2018 that limits elective abortions after 15 weeks of gestation. The state’s only abortion provider, Jackson Women’s Health Organization, challenged the law and lower courts have blocked it from taking effect. Mississippi appealed those rulings and now the nation’s highest court will decide whether states can limit abortion before viability (around 24 weeks of gestation).
Some pro-life advocates believe the court has a unique opportunity to overturn Roe v. Wade, the 1973 Supreme Court decision to legalize abortion nationwide. More than 60 million abortions have taken place since that fateful ruling.
I believe abortion on demand is a grave injustice against vulnerable image bearers in the womb and a moral stain on our nation’s conscience. Each preborn child is “knit together” in his or her mother’s womb, as a human life “fearfully and wonderfully made” by God himself (Psalm 139:13-14).
“I believe abortion on demand is a grave injustice against vulnerable image bearers in the womb and a moral stain on our nation’s conscience.” — Todd Unzicker
While a decision on this case isn’t expected until next year, would you pray with me in these specific ways as the oral arguments take place?
- Pray for the Supreme Court justices: Clarence Thomas, Stephen Breyer, John Roberts, Samuel Alito, Sonia Sotomayor, Elena Kagan, Neil Gorsuch, Brett Kavanaugh and Amy Coney Barrett.
- Pray that lawmakers at the local, state and national levels would put forward legislation that protects preborn children and honors the dignity in all humans.
- Pray that Christians would represent our Lord well as we seek truth and accuracy in media coverage and engage with others on social media.
- Pray for pregnancy care workers and pro-life advocates as they serve and support women facing unplanned or challenging pregnancies.
- Pray that churches and other communities would provide the encouragement and resources parents need to choose life when faced with difficult circumstances.