The search process for naming the next leader of the Baptist State Convention of North Carolina (BSCNC) has taken a significant step forward with the naming of a nine-member committee charged with recommending the state convention’s next executive director-treasurer.
Melanie Wallace, president of the BSCNC’s board of directors, announced the committee members during an abbreviated board meeting held Thursday, July 16 at Caraway Conference Center near Asheboro.
Earlier this year, current BSCNC Executive Director-Treasurer Milton A. Hollifield Jr. announced his plans to retire effective Feb. 28, 2021. Hollifield was named the BSCNC’s 14th executive director-treasurer in April 2006, and has served in that role for the past 14 years. He has served the Baptist state convention for 27 years overall.
Members of the search committee are:
- Noah Crowe (committee chairman), intentional interim pastor of Peachtree Memorial Baptist Church in Murphy.
- Allan Blume, transitional interim pastor of Pittsboro Baptist Church in Pittsboro and member of First Baptist Church of Cary.
- Quintell Hill, pastor of Multiply Church in Monroe.
- Andrew Hopper, lead pastor of Mercy Hill Church in Greensboro.
- Jarrod Scott, pastor of Green Pines Baptist Church in Knightdale.
- Michael Sowers, pastor of First Baptist Church of Buies Creek.
- Jennifer Thoppil, member of Salem Baptist Church in Dobson.
- Don Warren, member of Parkwood Baptist Church in Gastonia.
- Beth Wooten, pastor’s wife and member of Beulaville Baptist Church in Beulaville.
Wallace said she received a significant number of recommendations from N.C. Baptists for individuals to serve on the search committee. She said she took time to pray about the recommendations before naming the individuals to serve on the committee.
“I have not taken this responsibility lightly,” Wallace said. “I never imagined in a million years that I would be tasked with naming the committee to find Milton’s successor.”
Wallace called upon N.C. Baptists to pray for the committee members as they begin their work to consider and ultimately recommend the individual to serve as the next executive director-treasurer of the Baptist State Convention of North Carolina.
“I plead for you to pray for these people.” Wallace said. “They have a difficult task.”
Updates related to the executive director-treasurer search process will be posted on the BSCNC’s website at ncbaptist.org/edtsearch. More information on how individuals can recommend candidates for the search committee to consider will be posted on the site in the near future.
by Chad Austin / Communications / Baptist State Convention of North Carolina
Stay connected by signing up for the N.C. Baptist monthly newsletter.